**This course will provide the participant with 1.5 Ethics Learning Type BACB® CEUs**.
Description of Learning Type CE Event: The art of addressing ethical dilemmas appears to be one that behavior analysts are quite proficient in. However, upon closer analysis, that may not necessarily be the case. Rather, it is possible that behavior analysts are more adept at identifying things they don’t like and conflating them into ethical dilemmas. The danger of this is that we begin to develop a coercive, fear-based approach to ethics, a problem that is not easily reversed in our field. In this discussion, Dr. Spiker will discuss some of the nuances and variables related to the development of ethical practices vs. preferences in behavior analytic work.
About the Instructor: Shane T. Spiker is a BCBA in Ormond Beach, Florida. Shane received his MS of Psychology in 2012 and his second MS in applied Psychology in 2016. In May 2019, he graduated with his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology with a concentration on instructional design. He has been providing services in the field of ABA since 2010, with the majority of his experience with autistic learners and other disabilities. Shane specializes in working with teens and adults with dangerous problem behavior, sexual behavior, and medically complex individuals in home and community-based settings. Primarily, Shane serves as the Clinical Training and Safety Director at PBS, Corp. Shane previously served as the Vice President of the Sexual Behavior: Research and Practice SIG through ABAI. He has written and published several articles related to behavior analysis and practice. Additionally, he serves as a co-instructor at Florida Institute of Technology, Arizona State University, and Regis College, where he teaches graduate-level coursework. He enjoys reading and appreciates a really good cup of coffee. To keep up with his ongoing work, please feel free to check out the following resources:
- Instagram: @drshanetspiker, @WNDPress, @WWDWWDPodcast, @paperbackbehavior, @TeamPBS
- Podcasts: Why We Do What We Do and Paperback Behavior
- Websites: WNDPress.com (for books and publications), TeamPBS.com (for trainings).
Target Audience: Intermediate/Advanced. Behavior analysts currently certified with the BACB®
Learning Objectives: As a result of this course participants will be able to …
- Identify ethical dilemmas vs. ethical preferences.
- Describe the current cultural norms surrounding ethics discussions and ethics policing.
- Practice identifying personal learning history and bias influence on ethical decision making.
- Review decision-making models for effectively addressing ethical decision-making.