**This course will provide the participant with 2 General Learning Type BACB® CEUs**
Description of Learning Type CE Event: Cultural Humility is a value, an ongoing process of learning and self-reflecting, which requires a multitude of related behaviors to be included in one’s repertoire. Join world-famous drag and music artist, Maxi Glamour, an activist at the front of BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ movements in Saint Louis, MO, as they explore cultural concepts and clinical needs for humans who don’t adhere to dominant norms. This very.blunt, yet also free-flowing and casual discussion between Nicholas Maio-Aether and Co-Presenter Maxi Glamour, covers current social issues and the issue of norming/attempting to shape assimilative behaviors, how these can apply toward best clinical practices, and adherence to the BACB (2020) Ethical Code for Behavior Analysts. Prepare to be uncomfortable, challenged, and affirmed.
About the Instructors:
- About Nicholas: Nicholas Maio-Aether owns Empowered: A Center for Sexuality in St Louis, where he and his occasional teams of partnered Universities’ students work to assist humans with and without disabilities achieve sexual access, sexual freedom, gender affirmation, and self-control of compulsive behaviors. Nicholas works throughout the US training BCBAs/Behavior Analysts so persons in Individualized Supportive Living (ISL) programs gain access to applicable and generalizable comprehensive sex ed and sexual opportunities. Nicholas provides Sexual Behavior Analysis, and has assisted polycules, kinksters, gay couples, trans and nonbinary humans, among others, on their journeys. Trained by GLSEN in 2003, Nicholas started Gay-Straight Alliances across Alaska while in high school, and provided them sex ed materials and trainings. Nicholas spent five years managing Hustler Hollywood in St Louis before moving into Behavior Analysis, and joined AASECT, where he currently sits on two committees. He then completed a Sex Therapy practicum under Linda Weiner, LMSW, CSTS, in 2019 before getting a second Masters in Marriage & Family Therapy, and meeting those hour requirements under Angela Skurtu, LMFT, CST, along with his LGBTQIA+ Family Systems Specialist certificate in 2021.
- About Maxi: Maxi Glamour (they/them) is a renowned drag and music artist, and founder of the St Louis organization Qu’art, which showcases local queer art and assists minority-intersected queer artists in gaining recognition and pay for their talents. Maxi’s talents went worldwide in 2020, when they were featured as a Season 3 contestant on the Boulet Brothers’ Dragula, where they faced their fears and put out some killer looks. Maxi has since begun their undergraduate journey at Webster University, and has also just started tenure as a commissioner for the St Louis City Civil Rights Enforcement team. They continue to produce drag shows locally and to travel nationally, showcasing not only their drag, but also their music, having released an album in 2021 entitled Modernadada. Their website is: www.maxiglamour.com.
Target Audience: Anyone involved in Behavior Analysis who wants to do right by humans of other cultures. BCBA®, BCaBA®, RBT®.
Learning Objectives for Participants: As a result of this course, participants will be able to…
- Operationally define: Compulsory Ethnocentrism; Othering; White Saviorism; Structural Racism.
- Address the functions of behaviors requested/suggested of practitioners, and humans in general, by BIPOC communities.
- Apply deductive reasoning as to how the information provided by members of BIPOC communities and empirical evidence can relate to behavior-analytic practice.
- Review a model, already in practice by grassroot community orgs, for showing respect to humans of various intersections.
Disclaimer: Always remember that taking a CEU, even a multi-hour CEU is NOT enough to demonstrate competency in the content related to the CEU. It is YOUR responsibility to seek out supervision/consultation with the presenter and/or a subject matter expert (SME). The CBS/CBS-C certification is a SUB-field certification designed for the sub-field of SBA it does NOT lead to licensure of its own. Thus to practice with this certification, you’d have to be a BCBA® or BCaBA® via the BACB® and/or certified in your particular state as a Licensed Behavior Analyst.